- The Chicago Manual of Style (CMS), The University of Chicago Press
- The Associated Press (AP) Stylebook and Libel Manual
- The Elements of Style, Strunk & White
- The Art of Readable Writing, Rudolf Flesch
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction, William Zinsser
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Creative Writing, Laurie E. Rozakis
- Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th Edition, 2003 (includes a CD, 225,000 definitions, 10,000 new entries, style handbook, etc.)
- Every Writer’s Guide to Copyright & Publishing Law, by Ellen M. Kozak
- Webster’s New World Speller/Divider
- Writer’s Market: comprehensive annual directory of book, magazine and specialty publishers, plus helpful articles, lists of literary agents and writing contests, etc. (available in both hard copy and on CD)
- The Writer’s Almanac, a free daily ezine by Garrison Keillor and published by American Public Media. Subscribe at writersalmanac.org.
- Writer’s Digest (monthly magazine) writersdigest.com.
- The Internet: loads of information on every conceivable subject of interest to writers. Looking for a literary agent? Or information about copyright law, fair use, public domain, etc.? Just enter the topic on Google or one of the other search engines, and chances are good that you’ll find everything you need.
- com: lots of great tools; definitions, synonyms, derivation of words, etc.